About the job
We have a leading role in transforming Management Information for world-leading Government science and technology organisation. The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory has an outstanding reputation of delivering cutting-edge science and technology solutions for the UK Government on a wide range of defence and security challenges. For DSTL to underpin more effective and efficient running of the organisation, we are overhauling its corporate management information capability to provide managers and staff throughout the organisation with rapid, accurate information on all aspects of the business. If you are an experienced Management Information/Business Intelligence or Data Science practitioner, with outstanding leadership, collaboration and communication skills, and are looking for the chance to play a leading role in both shaping the transformation of DSTL’s MI capability and being at the forefront of delivering high quality MI products to all levels of the organisation, then please have a look at the job profile , we would welcome an application from you.
We are looking for someone who has:
•Experience of working with complex, disparate data sets to generate concise, clear information for senior managers
•Very good understanding and experience of developing reports in PowerBI
•A proactive leader who can work across multiple business areas, generating productive relationships
•A good understanding of business drivers underpinning corporate strategy
•A desire to help influence and support the Dstl Executive
•The ability to work as a self starter and to be part of a diverse team
•knowledge of Dstl’s business and environment
In this role you will:
•lead on the development of MI capability, delivering the MI centralisation change programme and then leading the subsequent team
•establishing positive relationships, underpinned by effective systems, across Dstl in order to feed clear and timely data into quarterly reporting and monitoring of Dstl’s strategy
•work with business owners to ensure effective reporting capabilities are in place
•draw on wider best practise to improve business performance capability within Dstl, including leading a community of best practise (inside and outside Dstl).
•Able to Work with minimal guidance
•Delivering through influence
•Working with uncertainty/changing requirements
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Seeing the Big Picture
Delivering at Pace
Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Please explain how your technical skills and experience, particularly around experience of using Power BI to generate reports meet the criteria for this role
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities