We are reviewing our brand here at Dstl and setting out an ambitious new vision for Communications for the Government agency that creates the science inside UK national security.
A key part of that strategy is telling Dstl’s exciting story to the nation and beyond. To do this we are looking for a Social Storyteller to share our outstanding history and work.
You’re a newshound who will lead in cultivating a first-class network of contacts across our organisation to sniff out, develop and promote stories about Dstl’s incredible array of scientific exploration and invention.
You will also lead in working closely with our new Digital Manager to deliver audience-specific, segmented and targeted social media activity, conforming to Ministry of Defence (MOD) standard methodology in the social media arena in terms of format and timing. You will be experienced at interacting across social media channels and will develop key social media connections.
Your Key Performance Indicator will be a ‘story pipeline’ of upcoming media-relevant achievements, news, features and thought leadership opportunities that gain an excellent traction with national press, digital and broadcast pick up.
We want a proactive, driven, self-starter who gets fired up by generating key stories and seeing them hit print, digital or broadcast. You'll use our media channels to get them there.
Your work will be key in driving the external communications and interaction elements of the overarching Communications strategy. You'll promote Dstl as the agency that innovates, collaborates and makes an impact.
• Surfing the news agenda across science, technology and government to ensure Dstl is always out there in our sector and beyond. Optomising opportunities to promote our brand, achievements and reputation.
• Seeking, finding and delivering an appropriate story pipeline for Dstl that fully illustrates the breadth of our future facing activity as the key agency for defence science and technology in the UK.
• Crafting, populating and delivering a year planner of media activity. This includes social media to provide a campaign drumbeat of timely and productive promotional activity for Dstl.
• Working closely and appropriately directing a new Content Producer to identify and develop a strong yet organisationally sustainable Content Strategy. From this you'll deploy compelling and class-leading digital content to further build and improve Dstl’s online footprint.
• Developing and delivering effective storytelling material to deploy via social media posts and interactions, online news releases, video and audio releases, and feature pieces.
• Majoring on the proactive side of promoting Dstl and promote our brand across key external media channels. Finding the stories inside Dstl that we want to shout about. You will also though work closely with our press lead on reactive media response as well as on formal announcements and ministerial activity.
• Collaborating with our colleagues at MOD Defence Directorate Communications as required. You'll gain complex Government and security approvals to ensure we protect and improve our image through proactive media and social media work as well as ensuring issues are well handled as they emerge.
• Copy writing and Editing – social media, news releases, feature articles, media statements, thought leadership articles – and on occasions print and exhibition collateral to support the Marketing Manager. You’ll add value to the words of others and ensuring they are professional, on message, in plain English and enhance and develop the brand of Dstl.
• Copy proofing – We operate a collaborative one team approach at Dstl with team members who will happily and willingly work across team activity as required.
• Giving our teams an understanding of key audiences – what interests, drives and motivates them, in order that we can better serve them with relevant, appropriate timely communications and information.
• Monitoring analytics and working with colleagues to agree, drive and report back regularly and proactively against a strong set of Key Performance Indicators for earned media coverage and for social media engagement and, critically, interaction.
• Support media training delivery and regular chaperoning support to talking heads and key spokespeople in liaison with the press lead as required.
• Passionate about news – You will love sniffing out stories and will have a track record that shows you know which media and channels to use.
• An experienced media operator – You know your media inside out: print, broadcast or digital, you get how it ticks and what stories and angles work. You'll build on your contacts to support our message.
• A savvy social media Operator – We need someone who eats, sleeps and drinks social media. You’ll know the difference between content strategies for Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook and YouTube. Importantly you’ll be able to add value and stretch our reach and impact hour by hour across these key, time-critical channels.
• A natural internal networker – You’ll be sociable, inquisitive and driven to find and share the stories that really make Dstl tick. You’ll know the best way to do this is to find the key scientists who will be camera and mic-friendly specialist talking heads for us out there in the media. You’ll identify them and nurture phenomenal working relationships with our key media stars.
• A high energy promoter – Our scientists are world-leading specialists who make Dstl an undiscovered national asset. You’ll lead in discovering the hidden gems and asking how we can promote our work while not compromising the secure nature of our research.
• A real achiever – A dedicated professional who will genuinely grab and drive our external media and social media promotion. You’re used to achieving, you enjoy delivering high quality promotion and coverage, and you’ll want to keep doing so time and time again.
• A strong writer – You make the language really work for you, for us and our key audiences. Your words will resonate across all key channels and audiences to promote and enhance the brand, reputation and prowess of Dstl.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Seeing the Big Picture
Managing a Quality Service
Communicating and Influencing
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network
Please note that Dstl will be contacting individuals via email and you should check your junk mail folder regularly. Any attachments may not be available via smart phone or tablet views.
If you are applying for this position as a Job Share please indicate if you have a partner who is also applying for this vacancy and if you are successful but they are not if you would still consider the role.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Interviews will consist of a behaviour and technical interview. Details of assessments and instructions for your interview will be sent to you via email. Please be aware that due to the current nationwide restrictions on travel and public gatherings and to ensure your safety, these interviews will likely be taking place through video interview. Should this change we will notify candidates who are selected for interview.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our status as a “Reserve Post” organisation, Dstl vacancies are open to candidates who only hold UK nationality.
If you hold Dual Nationality, i.e. have the right to abode, have citizenship or hold a passport/national identity card for another country outside the UK – you will not be eligible for this role.
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Some roles will require Developed Vetting (DV). Unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered.
At Dstl we are committed to inclusivity and diversity within our workforce. During the application process we collect information to help us monitor this. It helps us better-understand our incoming workforce, as well as highlighting areas of improvement.
The information we request will not be used to make a decision about your application - no applicant or employee will ever be seen as more or less favourable based on disability, gender, martial or civil partnership status, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion/belief.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Recruitment team :
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
If you have a disability we will try our best to make reasonable adjustments to remove any barriers to this post in the application / interview process due to a disability.