Deputy Director of Digital Strategy and Operations
Location: Birmingham, Leeds, Hastings, Swansea or London
Salary: Up to £85k + Benefits
Transport connects everyone. It\'s integral to people\'s lives, gets people to work, supports city growth and connects us internationally. The Department for Transport (DfT) is at the heart of the transport system, working to deliver a safer, more secure and sustainable transport network that works for everyone.
Over the past 5 years DfTs\' Digital Service team (150 colleagues) has made significant impact as we design, build and run digital public services making them simpler and faster to use, focussing on creating resilient and secure foundations for the provision of better transport services to the public. We are proud to have achieved significant advancements including the implementation of exciting new services for colleagues, businesses and the public, and refresh of our entire hardware estate, while moving to a fully cloud-hosted environment.
It is now time to look forward to seize opportunities to innovate and deliver the full realisation of benefits that step-change can offer, enabling our 4500+ colleagues to collaborate and innovate through the provision of effective tools and technology, whilst achieving a step-change in customer-focus and ensuring our systems remain secure. With 4 key strategic goals under our \'Better Everyday\' Digital Service vision, we will boldly embrace innovative new ways of working whilst delivering the most secure and inclusive digital tools, platforms and services that meet our user needs and surpass their expectations. Are you ready to take on the exciting opportunity of being part of this journey?
Your responsibilities will include:
• Reporting to the CDIO you will drive the overarching digital strategy and direction, whilst inspiring and developing collaborative working relationships with partners, senior officials and Ministers
• Forge strong peer-level relationships across the Department to co-create a roadmap for maximising the opportunities offered by digital technology
• Ensure the continued provision, maintenance and improvement of high quality, stable and resilient digital services to support business critical operations, ensuring that digitally driven solutions are supported by the right architectures, systems, processes and metrics, whilst also overseeing management of major incidents and disaster recovery
• Champion and further drive modern approaches to continuous integration/continuous deployment using best practice cloud hosting technologies.
• Lead, inspire and develop technical capability across multiple sites including Enterprise Architecture, Cyber Security, Live Services and Digital Business Partnering teams (currently a team of 60), ensuring an inclusive and collaborative culture is maintained and amplified.
• Ensure data and information services are fit for purpose and organisational data is treated appropriately in line with best practice and follows cross-government best practice and governance frameworks.
• Effectively balance multiple priorities and competing demands by focussing on outcomes, values and strategic alignment
• Act as senior relationship and contracts owner for a number of service providers, managing a budget of £20m, working with procurement to ensure successful strategic partnering, building relationships, and holding providers to account for high quality outputs
• A proven track record of leading and delivering customer focussed large scale technology services, promoting and delivering on the full realisation of benefits of digital technology to drive the delivery of excellent customer service and ensure the voice of the customer is championed
• Proven ability to establish, develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with all colleagues, partners and diverse stakeholders to deliver impact and influence continuous improvement whilst balancing requirements
• Proven success of building high-performing and cross-functional technical teams, establishing and owning key performance indicators whilst raising performance levels and developing critical capabilities
• Strong architectural knowledge with experience of overseeing the delivery and management of cloud services
• Proven governance from managing suppliers and outcomes, overseeing management of major incidents and disaster recovery ensuring a strong audit trail and lessons learnt through to exposure or running of technology focussed governance boards
• Proven commercial expertise including supplier management, establishing and improving supplier performance standards and managing significant budget(s)
• Working knowledge and strong understanding of industry standard security issues, processes and controls
For an informal and confidential call to find out more about the role and how to apply, please reach out to Shoaib Haroon on Shoaib.Haroon@gatenbysanderson.com / 07384258626 or
Sarah Luxford on Sarah.Luxford@gatenbysanderson.com on 07812 150 386.
Closing Date: Monday 29 August 2022 (23:55)