Dstl Portsdown West, Fareham, Hampshire
About the job
This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in, and influence, the requirements of a wide range of future maritime platforms, from capital warships to high speed assault boats, that will be at the heart of future capabilities. Dstl’s Platform Systems Department, Above Water Group undertakes research into all aspects of maritime systems, in particular how these systems of systems are designed, developed, evolved and acquired. It also provides advice to MOD capability and procurement managers.
The successful candidate will work within the Maritime Systems Engineering (MSE) team within the Above Water Group and part of the Platforms Systems Division.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We particularly welcome applications from female and BAME candidates and those from the LGBTQI+ community.
We are looking for someone who has:
• A good working knowledge of maritime platform design principles and calculations covering general arrangement, static stability, powering, resistance, dynamic stability and control.
• Planning, designing, carrying out, developing and reporting small projects, sub-projects or trials
• A focus on delivering the required output.
• A desire to learn/develop new skills.
• The initiative and confidence to develop and progress new concepts/ideas.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
In this role you will:
• Provide domain expertise and support scientific investigations on future maritime platform design challenges and issues (providing timely, impartial, evidence-based advice to customers to enable them to make informed decisions representing best value and a return on investment.
• Support the development of techniques & tools for platform concept design and analysis to enable analysis of the relationships between design concepts, technologies, affordability, performance & capability to be carried out and recommendations made as to how capability can be realised most cost effectively.
• Guide and support scientific investigations concerning the hydrodynamics of maritime platforms including the application of theoretical methods, experimental methods, modelling and simulation tools & techniques to enable Dstl to make informed decisions and recommendations concerning potential hydrodynamic behaviour of maritime concepts.
• Ensure knowledge acquired of developments in worldwide ship or planing craft design, systems and enabling technologies is converted into advice to MOD for future exploitation.
• Work closely with other domain specialists within Dstl and industry to ensure outputs meet the needs of the partner community.
• Participate in demonstrations/experiments and trials.
• Develop relationships across Dstl, industry and with international partners
• Working across multidisciplinary teams across the organisation and potentially more widely.
• Supervising scientific research undertaken by industry.
• Working successfully with diverse groups.
• Achieving outcomes through others.
We offer the opportunity to develop technical and leadership skills within a highly successful Team, whose services are in high demand. You will work as part of a project team collaborating with the Project Manager and Project Technical Authority. Tasks will vary in duration from months to years. This role will crosscut a number of maritime areas and as such will require system engineering skills which can be brought to bear in a coherent and coordinated approach.
Honours degree in naval architecture or ship science or yacht and power boat design.
Masters degree in marine/mechanical engineering.
Membership of a relevant professional body such as RINA, IMechE.
The following are essential skills for this role:
• Good working knowledge of maritime platform design principles and calculations covering general arrangement, static stability, powering, resistance, dynamic stability and control.
• Maritime platform construction processes.
• Ability to use 3D CAD and possess visualisation skills.
• Techniques for hydrodynamic analysis & modelling, computational fluid dynamics and physical model experimentation.
• Plan and run trials.
• Construction oversight or survey.
• Specialist warship design course.
• Understanding of Large yacht code.
• Experience of maritime platform design.
• Demonstrated good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Good track record of team-working.
• Ability to source and acquire new data and material to provide capability in new areas.
• Specialist warship design course.
• Understanding of Large yacht code.
• Maritime sector Industrial experience.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and undertake hydrodynamic investigations.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners across the enterprise. We work closely with the Defence and Security Industry on many projects, so it would be great to work with you via one of our partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Knowledge and experience of Naval Architecture
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
See our vetting charter.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills. Sift will take place shortly after the closing date with successful candidates being invited to an interview.
Candidates are asked to provide a CV and personal statement which details their suitability to the role advertised. If you are successful at sift we will then ask you to participate in a remote interview. At interview we will be assessing your technical expertise and behaviors as detailed within the job advert.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview scheme for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
Your application will be assessed by the hiring manager matching the evidence you have provided in your CV against the criteria in the vacancy details and the attached job description. Those who score the highest mark will be invited to come to an interview.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.