About the job
Fancy a change from University Academic Life but still want to be challenged by applied scientific problems…? Dstl has positions for you in our growing Electronic Warfare, Intelligence gathering and Offensive capabilities. We are offering the choice of permanent or fixed term appointments or for those wanting a short term break from academia, a 2 year secondment (subject to University approval).
All either Full or Part Time. Primarily the roles provide an opportunity to undertake deep research work to ensure UK is at the forefront of development of novel military capabilities against a range of adversaries. Dstl is the science and technology arm of the Ministry of Defence. As part of UK Government we do sensitive and specialist work that cannot be done anywhere else!
The convergence of electromagnetic, cyber, and information activities are critical to achieving UK Defence’s mission and requires coordination and integration across the joint force for success. As part of the Cyber and Information System Division, the purpose of Electronic Warfare Technology and Enterprise (EWTE) Group is to develop science and technology concepts to exploit the electromagnetic spectrum for inform and Attack; provide specialist technical advice to support the development of electronic warfare and electromagnetic activities capabilities; and build the UK contribution to an electromagnetic activities' enterprise. Specifically, the Group specialises in radio frequency (RF) electronic surveillance and electronic attack, as well as drawing together domain knowledge with specialist advice at the EW Enterprise level. We range from early career graduates, mid-career specialists, ex-academia and ex-military personnel through to Fellows of Dstl and Chartered Institutes.
We have a number of Charted Institute Professionals and a high percentage of PhD and Masters level academic qualifications. Some of the Group have qualified whilst with us, as we highly value and actively support continuous professional development. We also highly value and maintain our excellent and prolific publication capability, both in the public and classified domains
The UK must maintain an operational advantage to keep our citizens safe and maintain our prosperity. To support this Dstl conducts targeted research and provides specialist advice. If you join us you could be involved in:
• Develop novel and innovative research to meet complex challenges in the areas of electronic sensing, intelligence gathering and more general electromagnetic activities for defence and security purposes.
• Assessing and advising on Electronic Warfare systems in the Air, Sea, Land and increasingly the Space domains, ensuring that they are effective, safe and secure.
• Supporting the delivery of UK MOD S & T by conducting related research in related areas and by developing tools and solutions.
• Technically Partnering with Industry and Academia to ensure the very best quality of work is supplied to MOD Delivery Teams.
We need new minds to provide new insights into electromagnetic activities. We take a very flexible approach to current skills and experience: detailed knowledge of these topics is not required; all you need is a logical mind and familiarity with a relevant STEM subject area.
You may be a post-doctoral researcher, a career returner or looking for a mid-career switch. We offer flexible working patterns, including full-time, part-time, job share or (subject to agreement with your current employer) secondment. We're also flexible on location, being able to support working from home for a portion of your time.
As the science inside UK defence and security, Dstl is charged with making sure our Armed Forces, and our nation, are not defeated by technology shock. Within all domains, this requires a broad range of people working in multi-disciplinary teams.
Our experience shows that new insights from people with non-traditional technical backgrounds are particularly valuable. To keep ahead, we need continual research, including (subject to classification) publication in peer-reviewed venues.
The challenge with defence is you have to be right all of the time: attackers only have to get lucky once. So, we need a collection of inquisitive minds, drawn from a wide range of fields, to provide the all-aspect protection that's needed.
We want Academic Researchers, Leaders or Lecturers with a flair for problem solving and a passion for new technologies who are looking for a career with a difference, with research, design, development or engineering experience in the digital communications, electromagnetism and radio frequency areas.
This role would suit someone who wishes to get up in the morning knowing they are making a real difference to the safety and security of our Country, not just to some Company’s bottom line.
Candidates for this post will ideally have a degree or advanced professional qualification in a relevant STEM field such as: Physics, Computer Science, Information Science, Electronic Engineering, Communications Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related field.
Our unique position in government means that you will:
• Work on a variety of interesting and challenging problems that owing to their sensitivity cannot be done elsewhere.
• Make a difference and have pride in what you do; our work improves the front-line capability of the UK Armed Forces, keeps British citizens safe and supports national prosperity.
• Do the right things for the right reasons; we’re impartial and not in it for profit!
• Be trusted by Industry, Academia and partner Countries alike
• Form links across Government, industry and academia. We work with an array of partners both at home and abroad including the Armed Forces, other Government departments and industry.
• Develop your career in exciting new areas that are growing to meet cutting-edge challenges.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners across the enterprise. We work closely with the Defence and Security Industry on many projects, so it would be great to work with you via one of our partners.
The candidate will be expected to hold a degree in a related subject area
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Technical knowledge in the field
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities