About the job
The convergence of electromagnetic, cyber, and information activities are critical to achieving UK Defence’s mission and requires coordination and integration across the joint force for success. As part of the Cyber and Information System Division, the purpose of Electronic Warfare Technology and Enterprise (EWTE) Group is to develop science and technology concepts to exploit the electromagnetic spectrum for inform and attack; provide specialist technical advice to support the development of electronic warfare and electromagnetic activities capabilities; and create the UK contribution to an electromagnetic activities enterprise.
Specifically, the Group specialises in radio frequency (RF) electronic surveillance and electronic attack, as well as drawing together domain knowledge with specialist advice at the EW Enterprise level. The capabilities of the Group work in synergy to support Defence in achieving its future aspiration, which includes joint action through exploiting information, being integrated as a force, and more adaptable to changing circumstances.
The group aims to support Defence in developing the technology concepts necessary for success in the areas of inform and attack, and creating the UK contribution to an Electromagnetic Activities (EMA) enterprise To achieve this aim, the Group requires technical leaders in the following areas:
• Electronic warfare
• Radio frequency engineering
• Systems engineering
• Software programming
These leaders will lead on the delivery of technical work, the development of the Group’s internal capability and coordinating complex projects with our external partners.
The primary requirements for the role are the ability to lead technical work and have the experience and academic level necessary to influence deep technical experts. You are not necessarily expected to be the leading experts in the field but ideally you will have some level of experience, knowledge and skills in any one or more of the areas listed below:
• Cyber Security
In addition to the above, the candidate will ideally have an understanding of defence capability and enthusiasm for science and technology
This role spans Electronic Warfare across the Land, Maritime, Air, Space and Cyber domains. The group is tasked with supporting defence in protecting, understanding and developing the UKs use of the electromagnetic environment. You will as part of the group research, develop and test highly classified tactics, techniques and equipment to sense, disrupt or deny our adversary’s use of this environment. You will be able to lean on your experience and knowledge in some of the S & T skillsets listed above to help the GL, GP and leadership team steward the capability of the group to best respond to a given task.
In addition to your technical skills, you will be able to think systematically, logically, and creatively; you will have a natural desire to understand how things work and why they perform as they do; you will be able to communicate effectively; and you will be driven by a passion for engineering and technology coupled with the desire to ensure that the United Kingdom armed forces have the best information and equipment possible.
You will also be expected to:
• Manage the delivery of capability of projects across the Group and Division.
• Further develop existing relationships and building new links where required all in support of maximising delivery and impact
• Align new capability with the direction given in both the Dstl Business Plan, with the focus on delivering high impact S&T, and the CIS Division Strategy, which indicates key areas where capability needs to be developed.
• Understand the overlap and dependencies between the Programmes within CIS Division and translate to appropriate capability demand requirements for the EWTE Group.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners across the enterprise. We work closely with the Defence and Security Industry on many projects, so it would be great to work with you via one of our partners.
We are looking for people with either a degree in a related STEM subject or relevant professional qualifications
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Ability to lead technical projects and work packages
Technical Competence in a related field
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities