About the job
Communication is more important today than ever before. Information has to travel securely from diverse and dispersed locations to allow informed decisions to be made rapidly.
Our team undertakes, partners and promotes world-leading research into bespoke solutions to critical national security and communications challenges. Existing and novel science and technology concepts are applied to unique environments to develop and provide sustainable assured information infrastructures.
In partnership with Industry and Academia and our customers and stakeholders in the Ministry of Defence (MOD) and Government Security, we maximise the impact of communications and networks on the defence and security of the UK.
The salary will be dependent upon the level of proficiency, expertise, qualifications etc.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We particularly welcome female and BAME applicants and those from the LGBTQI+ community.
In this role you will:
• Use your knowledge, creativity and innovation in research projects in the communications and networks domain.
• Exploit novel ideas in the development of MOD’s tactical communication military systems and infrastructure.
• Lead other staff in the successful delivery of larger work areas.
• Develop the skills and knowledge of other staff to build capability in this area.
• Provide rigorous review of process and outputs to ensure the technical quality of the research.
• Advise across Government, including potentially briefing senior officials, to ensure robust decision-making within government in your area of expertise.
• Ensure coherence of advice to stakeholders with overall programme objectives, the work of others and evolving security challenges.
• Collaborate and partner with external bodies such as international partners or academia, as well as within government to maximise the value of Dstl’s research.
• Use your knowledge and skills to identify opportunities for further work.
• Working across virtual multidisciplinary teams across the organisation and potentially more widely.
• Managing scientific research by industry.
• Working successfully with diverse stakeholder groups.
• Achieving outcomes through others.
We offer the opportunity to build a rounded skill set in a cutting edge field within a highly successful Team, whose services are in great demand. You can expect to be deployed on a range of projects across a number of domains in leader or in direct support or as a Technical Partner with Industry. To do this you will work across MOD, Government and with our partners in Industry, Academia and abroad.
We are looking for someone who has:
• The ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, across teams and organisations, including with partners in MOD, worldwide and across industry.
• The ability to deliver work through others.
• The ability to communicate their knowledge clearly and concisely, particularly through coaching/ mentoring of early career staff but also to non-experts.
• A research mind-set, relevant technical expertise and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to form relationships with a broad range of military and non-military stakeholders and to use these relationships to deliver results.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners across the enterprise. We work closely with the Defence and Security Industry on many projects, so it would be great to work with you via one of our partners.
A degree or advanced professional qualification in Electronics Engineering, Communications Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Software Engineering, System Engineering, Computer Science, Systems Architecture, Information Technology, Science or Engineering with the appropriate technical / professional experience is required for these posts.
We are also keen to hear from applicants with an equivalent level of skills / knowledge / expertise.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Changing and Improving
Delivering at Pace
Communicating and Influencing
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
See our vetting charter.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Sift will take place shortly after the closing date with successful candidates being invited to an interview.
Candidates are to provide a CV and personal statement which details their suitability to the role advertised. If you are successful at sift we will then ask you to participate in a video interview. At interview we will be assessing your technical expertise and behaviors as detailed within the job advert.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview scheme for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
Your application will be assessed by the hiring manager matching the evidence you have provided in your CV against the criteria in the vacancy details and the attached job description. Those who score the highest mark will be invited to come to an interview.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.