About the job
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Radiographer to join the Non-Destructive Evaluation team in its world leading facilities at Porton Down. The role sits within the Energetic Technologies Group in the Counter Terrorism and Security Division. The team is responsible for delivering timely, flexible and deployable radiography to a number of Dstl and UK MOD customers. We operate a range of radiographic testing equipment to interrogate and image a variety of items using digital imaging techniques.
In this role you will:
• Develop and implement radiographic techniques. Record techniques so they can be used by others
• Gather information and scope customer requirements, devise methods and deliver those requirements in a timely manner
• Develop strong working relationships and opportunities with other capabilities across Dstl and external partners
• Produce results verbally, visually, and using various media for best results
• Handle and process items to meet safety and security requirements through correct receipt, unpacking, movement and repacking
• Maintain a safe and compliant facility to ensure radiography work can be carried out safely and efficiently
We are looking for someone who has:
• An existing knowledge of working with x-ray equipment.
• A good understanding of radiography or radiation physics with an awareness of radiation safety.
• Appropriate knowledge of computed and digital imaging and digital processing software.
• A qualification in radiography from PCN or ASNT will be a significant advantage.
• Can be guided or thinks independently to solve and deliver experimental and investigative work.
• A Practical hands-on person with good problem-solving skills.
• Numerical skills with a theoretical base will be valuable.
• Working experience of software such as Microsoft Office and image analysis / 3D processing packages.
• Evidence of oral and written communications skills in our mixed media IT environment will be important when working within teams and addressing customers and small groups.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
Delivering at Pace
Making Effective Decisions
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities