Based: This is a full time, permanent role based in Cambridge/home (based in the
Cambridge office at least 2 days a week) with travel to London
Reports to: CEO
Salary: £39,553.95 p.a. (Band level 5)
Purpose: To lead CBM UK’s advocacy and influencing work in support of our commitment to promoting the rights of people with disabilities in the world’s poorest communities. As part of a strategy to further increase our impact, we are seeking a confident and experienced influencer with a track record of impactful advocacy and a
keen interest in strategic communications.
Policy and influencing
Overall purpose: Oversee the development, implementation and co-ordination of advocacy and influencing strategies; build support for our work amongst target stakeholders and decision makers, in line with UK strategy and advocacy agenda.
1. Lead advocacy and policy work in UK, including the development of messaging for key sector and governmental stakeholders, and supporters
2. Identify and act on opportunities to influence thinking and decision-making on inclusive international development in the UK, engaging in lobbying, awareness raising, networking and capacity development, including:
i. Track and respond to emerging developments in parliament, FCDO, IDC, APPGs and the wider political and NGO spheres
ii. Influence policy decisions of UK MPs, Peers and civil servants to ensure inclusion remains a priority area
iii. Seek relevant leadership or advisory roles, represent CBM UK on committees, contribute to coalitions
iv. Write policy briefs and responses, blogs, papers, web and social media content. Feed into press releases and other media materials
3. Strengthen existing partnerships and develop targeted relationships with other NGOs and research institutions and effect change through international policy forums and processes
4. Participate in and build good relationships with UK-based networks, including BOND working groups, and advocate to promote the adoption of inclusive development policies and practices
5. Where appropriate, commission research on programme-based evidence of what works in the CBM UK priority areas
6. Manage Senior Evidence and Advocacy Officer , initiating and supporting the development and dissemination of a strengthened evidence base for disability inclusion within and beyond CBM UK supported programmes that informs policy and advocacy activities
7. Contribute to CBM Global’s advocacy strategy and community of practice, and influence its direction to ensure relevance to the UK context.
8. Support Programme staff to influence key stakeholders in target countries, in particular the implementation of FCDO's Disability Framework and to ensure funding bids are in line with global priorities including the SDGs and CRPD
9. Oversee and contribute to the development of evidence-based policy positions and advocacy tools
Developing opportunities for Technical Assistance
1. Identify and support the development of opportunities for Disability Inclusion Advisory and Advocacy focused projects, which lead to new partnerships/ contracts/collaboration, including developing capacity statements and working with the Head of Programme Funding to prepare funding applications in line with organisational strategy and priorities, including the wider Programme Funding strategy
2. Provide grant management oversight of technical contracts, including managing relationship with external partners, and maintaining an appropriate level of communication with key individuals
3. Where appropriate, oversee the work of advisors and other consultants to ensure work is of a high quality and consistent with our approach
4. Play an active role in CBM Global’s Inclusion Advisory Group and disability inclusion community of practice
5. Ensure monitoring, evaluation and learning and necessary reporting tasks are completed on time and to a high quality
1. Work with CEO to develop and monitor CBM UK’s Policy and Influencing strategy
2. Lead and drive implementation of the development of an evidence-based rolling advocacy and influencing strategy in line with CBM UK and CBM Global goals, whilst adjusting to emerging priorities
3. Work with the Director of International Programmes to ensure alignment of Advocacy and Influencing and Programmes strategies and their implementation
Communication and Organisational Representation
1. Represent the issue of disability inclusion to various external audiences and relevant stakeholder groups, including policy and decision makers and other INGOs, funders and media
2. Work with Fundraising & Communications staff to develop and implement the Policy and Influencing communications plan and develop campaigning ideas, using compelling evidence from the field for media stories, case studies etc.
3. Contribute to a resource library
1. Identify opportunities to initiate and contribute to new initiatives and events, both within CBM UK and externally
2. In the event of a humanitarian crisis, contribute to advocating on CBM UK’s emergency response at short notice
3. Provide briefings and analysis for the CEO, and other Leadership Team members where appropriate
4. Ability to travel to visit programmes for up to 4 weeks p.a.
5. Other duties as required by the CEO