Dstl Portsdown West, Fareham, Hampshire PO17 6AD and Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 0JQ
About the job
Do you want a role where you can show off your organisational skills?
We have exciting opportunities to join Dstl as an Associate Project Manager Apprentice.
As an Associate Project Manager apprentice at Dstl you will have the opportunity to work with our Project Managers in delivering science and technology and corporate projects which support Defence stakeholders. You will be exposed to the major Project Management processes and provide a key role in supporting successful execution of these.
We are looking for someone who has:
• An interest in pursuing a career in project management
• An interest in science and technology
• Is passionate about supporting the Ministry of Defence and protecting our country.
• Is able to work with Microsoft Excel and can learn Microsoft Project.
• Is able to work with minimal guidance.
• Has good attention to detail.
• Is able to work on a variety of tasks.
In this role you will:
• Maintain the project documentation and information to provide control and ensure availability of records in accordance with the Dstl’s Management System
• Act as the first point of contact, responding to internal requests relating to the project documentation, providing and/or coordinating information for corporate requirements.
• Maintain an up to date knowledge of the project to be able to present briefs in the absence of the Project Manager.
• Maintain awareness of corporate project management procedures, identifying necessary changes required in the control of projects where appropriate.
• Coordinate the planning and scheduling of project management requirements and reviews, liaising with all relevant project team members and customers.
• Monitor and update financial data, raising issues for review, and proposing options/mitigation, to enable accurate forecasting and financial control through accurate reporting.
• Support the planning, preparing and reviewing of project documentation, collating issues arising for resolution and collecting lessons learned.
There are opportunities to work across 3 of our main divisions - Defence Security and Analysis , Platform Systems and our Operations Divisions.
You will be enrolled onto a higher level apprenticeship programme, where you will embed your learning into your day job as an associate project manager. Classroom based learning will take place with our external training provider over a period of up to 2 years.
You will work with an experience team alongside some of the worlds experts in their field. You will gain experience and knowledge of the unique work that Dstl is at the forefront of.
• Minimum age requirement is 18 years
• 5 GCSEs at Grade C or higher including English and Maths (or equivalent), and hold a minimum of 120 UCAS points or equivalent / A Level or Level 3 qualification in a similar subject.
• Either before or during the apprenticeship, apprentices will be required to achieve Level 2 qualifications in English and Maths prior to taking end point assessment (EPA).
• Understanding of Project Management.
• Awareness of budgeting and resource allocation.
• Commercial awareness.
• Able to work with Excel and to learn Microsoft Project.
• Understanding of the Defence and Security context of the UK.
• Understanding of Dstl.
• Awareness of the capability and S&T disciplines required to deliver the requirements.
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Some roles will require Developed Vetting (DV). Unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered.
There may be the opportunity to convert this role to a permanent position.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Developing Self and Others
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Give an example of a project or task you have worked on which has involved using skills that relate to this apprenticeship.
Tell us about a time you have taken responsibility for a project or team and what you had to do to reach the desired outcome
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Ability, Experience and Technical skills.
This is a funded higher level 4 apprenticeship. If you hold a qualification in a similar subject and is of a higher level, you may not be eligible to undertake the role.
As part of the application you will be required to complete Verbal Reasoning & Numerical Reasoning Ability Tests. You will require internet connection to complete these. The tests are offered in order one after the other so once you have successfully completed the first ability test, you will be invited to start the second. Each test should take about 45 minutes to complete so you will need to allow approximately 1.5 hours to complete all of them.
You will need to complete these tests before you can finish your application form. The deadline for these tests is 1200 on 10th March 2020.
Your application will be assessed on your answers to the Technical questions, the behavioural statements and your statement of suitability. Please see the attached job description for the full requirements of this apprenticeship.
If your application is successful, we will invite you to take part in a face to face interview.
Applicants invited to interview will undergo a combined Technical and Behavioural based interview which will assess their skills relating to the requirements detailed in the attached job profile.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Dstlrecruitment
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Online test instructions
complete by 1200 10th March 2020 in order to be able to submit the full application.
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.