Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
Fareham, South East : Salisbury, South West
About the job
As the Division Head you will lead the entire Division, setting and communicating strategic direction and ensuring the safe, secure, resilient and cost-effective delivery of Science and Technology (S&T) to time, cost and quality in order to realise benefits for Defence and Security. You will ensure effective management of capability, employees and programme and project delivery, as well as being an active member of the Dstl Executive Management Committee, working with the Executive to develop Dstl policy and strategy.
The Platform Systems Division provides a single focus for platform-based capability covering all mission and weapons systems, and the related integrated survivability capabilities. The Division is responsible for all advice and solutions to capability gaps that require platform based solutions incorporating Air, Land, Maritime and Strategic Systems, Electro-Magnetic Protection, Integrated Survivability, Complex Weapons and Physical Sciences . This Division supports the Front Line Commands, Defence Equipment &Support and the Chief Scientific Advisor research programme.
We are looking for someone who has:
• An understanding of the Defence and Security arena
• Experience of strategic change and business transformation
• A strong track record of people management and leadership
• Extensive Relationship management experience
In this role you will:
• Set and communicate a vision and the strategic direction for the Division.
• Recommend and contribute to the development of corporate strategies (e.g. Corporate/Business plans).
• Ensure the development and maturation of supplier relationships matched against near-term delivery and future capability requirements, through effective partnership working and contract management.
• Implement Dstl's policies and processes and ensuring compliance with the Management System.
• Direct line management of the Division Programme Leader, the Capability Leader and the Business Manager.
• Create a positive working environment which supports diversity and enables staff to excel.
• Maintain a highly visible presence within the Division and promote high levels of staff engagement.
Recommend and deliver the Platform Systems Business Unit Agreement, encompassing:
• The effective management and mitigation of risk.
• Delivery of the Division’s Strategic Objectives along with programmes and projects to time, cost and quality.
• Supporting other Divisions in jointly achieving Dstl’s strategic objectives and performance targets – promoting joint working and the ‘One Dstl Team’ ethos.
• Delivering the Division capability development and strategic workforce plans to ensure the availability of appropriate future capability (people, relationships, infrastructure, knowledge, licences to practice).
• Ensuring the Division meets financial performance requirements.
• Balancing customer, capability and business performance demands.
• Leading and championing the corporate strategy.
• Monitoring progress against the Division Agreement and Strategy through effective governance.
• Specific delegations formally allocated by Dstl Executive or others accountable e.g. Information Asset Owner (IAO); Duty Holder.
• Formal business qualification (e.g. MBA, business or management-focussed degree).
• Practitioner-level or equivalent in Portfolio, Programme and Project Management
A career path that can demonstrate effective delivery of:
• Strategic change and business transformation.
• Influencing stakeholders at all levels
• Risk and Safety Management.
• People Management and Leadership.
• Financial Management.
• Building and maintaining effective relationships across organisational boundaries.
• Appreciation of the underpinning Science and Technology disciplines required to deliver the capability and programmes.
• Budgeting and resource allocation.
• Expert understanding of the Defence and Security context and the relevant customer environments.
• Understanding and appreciation of Dstl Programme and Project Management.
• Understanding and appreciation of Dstl’s business model.
Please see the attached role profile for further information.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Seeing the Big Picture
Communicating and Influencing
Developing Self and Others
Managing a Quality Service
Making Effective Decisions
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
In no more that 250 words provide your reasons for applying for this role.
In no more that 250 words describe why you feel you are suitable for the role and what you can bring to it in terms of your leadership skills, knowledge and experience.
In no more than 250 words tell us what you think are the main challenges of the role and how you would address these.
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is developed vetting.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
Candidates will be required to undertake pre-interview assessment which will include a
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Candidates in their probationary period are not eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Kat Ward firstname.lastname@example.org
Sift/interview dates and location
Provisional interview date is the 13th of February.
The Civil Service is moving to Name-Blind sifting and applications to Dstl will follow this process. However where a CV has been requested this functionality is not currently available
Please note that Dstl will be contacting candidates via email and you should check your junk mail folder regularly. Any attachments may not be available via smart phone or tablet views.
If you are applying for this position as a Job Share please indicate if you have a partner who is also applying for this vacancy and if you are successful but they are not if you would still consider the role.
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
Level of role
Whilst equivalent to SCS band one this is not an SCS position.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
Email Me Job Like This
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job. If you see a vacancy on Disability Jobsite requesting bank account details please email firstname.lastname@example.org